With increasing fuel prices, here are some tips to ensure you effectively manage fleet fuel spend:
- Ensure vehicles are properly maintained. A poorly maintained vehicle can consume approximately 20-30% more fuel than a properly maintained one.
- Check tire pressure. Improperly inflated tires can significantly affect fuel consumption. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on proper tire pressure and care.
- Adjust driving habits and take advantage of vehicle features such as cruise control systems.
- Reduce fast starts and stops, as these habits increase fuel consumption.
- If your vehicle comes equipped with a block heater, plugging it in can help increase fuel economy by ensuring the vehicle gets to proper operating temperature quicker. Most block heater systems will also help heat up the cabin faster so the vehicle does not have to idle for long to warm up the cabin.
- Consider implementing a fleet idling policy. Modern technologies such as telematics are gaining popularity as they increase safety and compliance. Most telematics systems can also track idling, so fleet managers can analyze the data quickly and easily.
- Utilize the manufacturer recommended fuel for the vehicle. Most vehicles do not require premium fuel
Jim Pattison Lease understands that fuel is a significant contributor to the overall operating cost of your fleet. For more information and tips to control your fleet fuel spend, contact us today.